As a teen, a host of peer pressures await. However, with all of the hustle and bustle for kids to fit into their preferred social circles, it is often a time when their oral health get neglected or mistreated. When it comes to your teeth, it isn’t easy being a teen. Here are some of the oral health risks you may be facing:
– Smiles of teenagers are subject to a variety of health risks, including natural ones. Wisdom teeth grow in during their teen years, and they tend to come with a host of problems including potential infections, malocclusions, growth issues, and lingering jaw pain.
– Your mouth is often at risk as a teen due to the amount of sports and similar high-risk activities it is exposed to. Protect your smile during contact sports by wearing mouth guards, face masks, and head gear when available.
– Although mouth jewelry is often considered in fashion, especially amongst teens, it is important to understand the health risks that come with it. Mouth jewelry can pose a choking hazard and even crack or chip your teeth if they come into contact with them at any time. In addition, serious infectious diseases such as hepatitis can be linked to mouth jewelry.
– Although smoking can lead to serious health disorders throughout your body, it begins by attacking your oral health, including darkening your teeth and gums and increasing your risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
– Do not partake in any peer-pressure situations as a teen that can lead to drugs, even recreational ones as they can deliver negative consequences for your oral health.
If you are looking for teenage health care treatments in Modesto, California, come see Gill Family Dentistry soon. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Amandeep Gill, simply call our dentist office at (209) 566-1986. With the help of our team, the pathway to a clear smile can be yours.