Teething can be a long, difficult process for the baby and the parents, especially if you’re not exactly sure what to do. The teething first begins when your child is about 6 months old and it typically stops around 3 years old. This is a drawn-out process that can be tiring and inconvenient. However, there are some things you can do to soothe your child and make the experience a bit better, and our Gill Family Dentistry team is happy to tell you what those things are! The five teething tips we’d like to give you are:
- Gently massage your child’s gums with your clean fingertips.
- Hold a chilled spoon against the sensitive area of your child’s mouth.
- Let your child chew on a cold, wet washcloth, but make sure you are there to supervise.
- Chill your baby’s pacifier in the fridge before use.
- Let your child chew on a clean teething ring that you purchased at the store.
Whatever you decide to do to help teething, please do not give your child the amber teething necklace or lidocaine. These two things can be very toxic and harmful for your baby. If you need additional tips because these five did not prove to be helpful, please feel free to call (209) 566-1986 and talk to our dental team. We also encourage you to schedule an appointment with your dentist, Dr. Amandeep Gill, if your child is ready for their first dental appointment. We look forward to talking with you and helping your child grow into their beautiful smile!