Just like any other part other of our body, we can injure the inside of our mouth. If this happens, bacteria can potentially enter and cause an infection—which can lead to a painful swelling filled with pus. If the pus can’t escape the area will become even more swollen and painful. This is known as an abscess. Essentially, an abscess is a barrier that keeps the infection from spreading to the rest of your body.
There are two types of abscesses. The first is a gum abscess. This is an infection that occurs in between the tooth and the gum. The second kind of abscess, known as a tooth related abscess, occurs inside your tooth. This happens when a nerve is dead or dying and typically shows itself at the tip of the root.
These are several symptoms of an abscess. These symptoms include a fever, pain when chewing, sensitivity to hot or cold, a bitter taste in your mouth, bad breath, swollen neck glands, discomfort, redness or swelling of your gums, and an open, draining sore on the side of your gums.
Treatment of an abscessed tooth can be complicated, however the goal is to eliminate the infection, preserve the tooth, and prevent complications. Our dentist will first need to drain the abscess and they will perform root canal therapy. A crown will then go over the tooth to protect it from further damage.
If you worry that you may have an abscessed tooth, we recommend getting to our dentist right away. Dr. Amandeep S Gill and our team are highly qualified and will help with any issue you may have. Just call Gill Family Dentistry at (209) 549-1721 to schedule an appointment. We are eager to hear from you.
Are you self-conscious about one or more missing teeth? Are you tired of wearing uncomfortable dentures? Do you feel uncomfortable about removing healthy tooth structure to have a dental bridge placed? If you answered, “yes,” to any of these questions, dental implants in Modesto, California, may be a good choice for your smile. Dental implants are made up of titanium posts (which act as replacement tooth roots) and restorations (which acts as replacement teeth).
Dr. Amandeep S Gill may recommend dental implants to do one or more of the following:
– Improve your appearance and self-esteem. Dental implants are designed to look and feel like your natural teeth. They become permanent because they are made to fuse with your jawbone. Because implants look like your own teeth, they can restore your self-esteem.
– Improve your speech. Poor-fitting dentures can slide in your mouth, which can cause you to mumble or slur when you speak. Dental implants provide confidence when you speak, as they will not slip.
– Improve your comfort. Implants are a part of you, so they take away the discomfort of removable dentures.
– Allow you to eat properly. Eating with ill-fitting dentures can be difficult, as they can slide in your mouth. However, dental implants are made to function like your natural teeth, so you can eat with confidence.
– Improve your oral health. Dental implants do not require tooth reduction Because of this, more of your teeth are left intact, which improves long-term oral health.
– Provide durability. Dental implants are very strong and will last for many years. If they are well maintained, they may even last a lifetime.
– Provide convenience. Dental implants to not need to be removed at night and they do not need messy adhesives to hold them in place. Implants are a part of your smile.
We invite you to contact Gill Family Dentistry today to learn more about how dental implants can restore your smile and to schedule an appointment with our dentist.